Care and Maintenance of Peripheral and Midline Catheters
This course has been designed to provide basic conceptual and operational knowledge to healthcare clinicians caring for those who have peripheral and midline catheters. As the science of infusion therapy advances and technology expands, it is imperative that all healthcare clinicians and nurses practicing infusion therapy remain current in their knowledge of infusion therapies, principles, techniques, equipment, and the latest in infusion evidence-based practices.
In early 2021, the Infusion Nurses Society (INS), recognized as the global authority in infusion therapy, released the updated Infusion Therapy Standards of Practice. The INS sets the accepted standards for infusion therapy practice for all healthcare settings. This course is based on the current best practices as defined by the Infusion Nursing Society and other governing agencies such as the CDC, and FDA.
Pedagogy has developed infusion skill check-off lists for all infusion related procedures for demonstration of skills and these are available in the course, for print out, and completion with a preceptor.
Upon completion of this course, the participant will be able to:
- Identify infusion related complications, causes and appropriate treatment.
- Identify methods of infection control related to IV therapy.
- List the components of accurate and complete documentation of IV procedures and complications.
- Demonstrate IV and Infusion related procedures.
Chapter 1: VAD Selection and Placement
Chapter 2: Infection Prevention and Safety Compliance
Chapter 3: Vascular Access Device Management
- Needleless Connectors
- Vascular Access Device Stabilization
- Site Protection
- Flushing and Locking
- Dressing Changes
- Administration Set Changes
Chapter 4: Fluid Regulation
- Gravity infusion
- Electronic Infusion Device (EID)
- Calculating IV flow rates
Chapter 5: Medication Administration
- Continuous/Intermittent infusions
- IV Push
- Antibiotic Reconstitution and reconstitution systems
- Elastomeric Devices
Chapter 6: Procedure Guides and Videos
- Midline Catheter Dressing Change and Video Demonstration
- Midline Catheter Needleless Access Device Change and Video Demonstration
- Midline Catheter Flushing and Locking and Video Demonstration
- Blood Sampling from a Midline by Discard Method and Video Demonstration
- Intermittent Infusion Procedure Guide and Video Demonstration
- IV Push Procedure Guide and Video Demonstration
Chapter 7: Complications
- Local Complications
- Systemic Complications
Chapter 8: Assessment and Documentation
- Documentation of IV Therapy
- Documentation of Infiltration or Extravasation
- Monitoring and Documentation – IV Hydration
- Monitoring and Documentation – IV Antibiotics
- Monitoring and Documentation – Pain Management
- Monitoring and Documentation – Heparin Intravenous or Subcutaneous
Chapter 9: Discontinuation of Therapy
- Peripheral catheter removal
- Midline catheter removal
Chapter 10: Resources – Skill Check-Off Lists
- Medication Administration
- Large Volume Electronic Infusion Device
- Peripheral IV Catheter Insertion
- IV Push
- Administration of Infusate via an Ambulatory Infusion Pump
- Medication Administration via an Elastomeric Device
Chapter 11: References